Oliver Tourism Association
Visitor, Communication and Event Ambassador
As Visitor, Communication & Event Ambassador you will work closely with the Communications Manager to assist visitors to the area in obtaining information on what there is to do in the area through the Visitor Centre as well as providing mobile visitor services at events with stakeholder businesses and community park. You will also work with the Executive Director and Communications Manager to plan and execute events put on by Oliver Tourism and other local organizations we support. Additionally, you will assist with marketing campaigns, social media and other tasks as needed.
Who We Are:
The Oliver Tourism Association operates the Visitor Information Centre for the Town of Oliver and strives to increase the number of nights visitors spend in our community. Through Visitor Services we share information on businesses, activities, and offerings within the town and regional district, specifically from Road 22 to Vaseux Lake, and beyond to engage visitors from all over BC. Oliver Tourism also operates two major festivals – Oliver Cask & Keg and Festival of the Grape – while supporting other community organizations and stakeholders with the promotion and execution of their events.
Who You Are:
You are a dynamic and passionate individual who wants to ensure visitors and locals get the most out of their time in Oliver. This includes sharing information and connecting them to businesses, events, and recreational activities around the area. You enjoy talking with people and have strong communications skills, you have a desire to continue in hospitality, tourism or communications. You are willing to learn. You embrace the Okanagan lifestyle and participate in some of the activities in the area. This position requires a person to be flexible in their work schedule as weekends and some evenings are required.
Qualifications & Desired Skills:
Preference will be given to candidates pursuing post-secondary studies in Tourism, Communications, or Marketing. Applicants must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, computer/telephone skills/etiquette, organizational ability, and strong attention to detail. Ability to work well under pressure, demonstrate initiative and work both independently and as part of a team is essential. You must be resourceful and have an excellent knowledge of the local area and tourism opportunities in the region. An ability to speak a second language is an asset.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Visitor Information & Gift Shop:
- Answer visitor inquiries by mail, phone, e-mail, social media, and in person.
- Record accurate and complete statistical data on visitor interactions in accordance with policies.
- Review publications and news sources for upcoming events and news of interest to visitors.
- Research community information of interests to visitors.
- Update files and reference materials.
- Contribute to providing tidy, safe, and clean work environment and replenishing stock as required.
- Advise on shortfalls relating to visitor information and merchandise.
- Assist customers in selecting and purchasing items from the gift shop as well as online tickets.
- Promote year-round festival/events in Oliver as well as local tourism products and services.
- Assist with event coordination.
- Assist with social media for the promotion of events, festivals, ticket sales and member engagement.
- Assist with marketing collateral.
Social Media & Marketing:
- Execute the social media plan as directed with input from the Communications Manager. This will include targeted postings on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Make recommendations for the improvement of online presence and social media channels.
- Work with Communications Manager to ensure the events calendar is detailed and accurate with an array of activities for visitors to choose from.
- Help identify new marketing opportunities by monitoring websites, social media channels, and publications.
- Knowledge of WordPress will be an asset.
Other Administrative & Team Duties:
- Work with Visitor Centre team to provide the best guest experience.
- Be engaged in a team environment with Visitor Centre volunteers, Communication Manager, Tourism Manager, and Executive Director.
- Support supervisors with other administrative tasks as assigned.
- Provide suggestions to improve services and where we can grow our offerings.
- Be flexible in a changing environment.
- Perform all other duties enthusiastically.
Additional duties as required.
Please forward your cover letter and resume to the attention of Ian Lobb, Tourism Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.